Applications for formal access to documents must be in writing and can be made on the downloadable application form below, or in the form of a letter.
The application must:
- be in writing;
- specify that it is made pursuant to the GIPA Act;
- be accompanied by the fee of $30.00;
- specify the documents required or provide sufficient information to enable the documents to be identified;
- provide an address in Australia to which notices pursuant to the GIPA Act can be sent; and
- lodged with NSWPF electronically, by mail or by hand.
If an application does not include these 5 things, it will be invalid and will not be processed. If that happens however, we will advise the applicant, and assist if possible, by explaining how a valid application can be made.
While not a requirement, any contact number provided may assist this agency to deal with the application should there be a need for clarification or consultation.
Applications can be forwarded to:
Post: NSW Police Force External Information Access Unit Locked Bag 5102 PARRAMATTA NSW 2124
We will acknowledge receipt of a valid access application within 5 working days, and will deal with an application within 20 working days (subject to any extension allowed for under the Act). If any extension of time is required to deal with an application, we will let the applicant know in writing.
Proof of Identity
If requesting personal information proof of identity is required.
Authorising a person/agency to act on your behalf
You may authorise a person to act on your behalf, by providing your authorisation with the full details of the person you are appointing to obtain NSW Police Information on your behalf. This information must be included with your Formal Access Application Form or provided separately with a reference to your Application. If such authorisation is not provided it may impact on the Notice of Decision.
The following documents must be completed for all access applications
- Access Application Form (includes Bail Report) (PDF)
- External Information Access Unit - Credit Card Payment Form (MS Word)
Access Application Fees
The $30.00 application fee is payable by
- Cheque (Enclose a cheque made payable to NSW Police)
- Money order (Enclose a money order made payable to NSW Police)
- Credit Card (Authority is to be attached)
In certain circumstances this agency may request an applicant to pay a processing charge, by way of advance payment, an amount covering the costs to the agency in dealing with the application. In such matters, the applicant will be sent a notice indicating the amount being sought by this agency.
Applicants may be entitled to a 50% reduction in processing charges:
- On financial hardship grounds; or
- If the requested information is of special benefit to the public.
Note: The discount applies only to the processing charge, not the application fee.
Further Information on Processing Fees can be located at:
In certain circumstances the NSW Police Force will consider releasing information in response to an informal request.
Refund of GIPA Application Fees
Between July 2007 and November 2017, a misinterpretation by the NSW Police Force of section 57(2) of the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA) meant that in some circumstances, an incorrect lengthening of the extended decision period was applied to GIPA applications.
If you have made a GIPA application during this period and your application received an extension of more than 10 days, you may be entitled to a refund of your application fees.
To apply for a refund, complete the GIPAA Refund Application Form and either:
- Email it to GIPAAREFUND@police.nsw.gov.au;
- Fax it to (02) 8835 6822, or
- Post it to NSW Police Force External Information Access Unit, Locked Bag 5102, Parramatta NSW 2124.