Media Release Archive

Untitled

Police urge motorists to take care as more lives lost - Operation Stay Alert

Monday, 12 June 2017 12:10:54 PM

Police are urging motorists to take care after two more lives were lost on our roads during Day 3 of Operation Stay Alert.

Operation Stay Alert commenced at midnight on Friday 9 June 2017 and concludes at 11.59pm on Monday 12 June 2017. Double demerits are in force throughout the period.

Officers will be a highly-visible presence on the roads during the operation, targeting speeding, mobile phone use, alcohol, drug-affected drivers, fatigue and seatbelt use.

A 78-year-old man died after he was involved in a single-vehicle crash near Dunedoo yesterday afternoon.

A 42-year-old man died after he was ejected from a car in a single-vehicle crash near Tamworth yesterday evening.

Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy of the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command, said he was saddened to see that more lives have been lost on the state’s roads.


“That’s two more men who did not go home to their families last night,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.

“Motorists need to remain alert, slow down, and always drive to the weather conditions. Not just during this operation, but every time they get behind a wheel.

“Fatalities affect a whole community. It never gets any easier telling someone that their loved one won’t be returning home,” he said.

Some examples of inappropriate driver behaviour detected during Day Three of Operation Stay Alert include;

MACQUARIE FIELDS

A 24-year-old man on his P1 licence was stopped for a stationary RBT on the Hume Highway. He returned a positive result and was subjected to a breath analysis which returned a positive reading of 0.148. He was issued a Field Court Attendance Notice for mid range PCA.

BAULKHAM HILLS

Police detected a motor vehicle at 106km/h in a sign posted 60km/h area on Windsor Road, Baulkham Hills. The 18-year-old man driving the car was issued a Traffic Infringement Notice for exceed speed limit by over 30km/h and was given a notice of suspension for a period of three months.

BEECROFT

A 29-year-old man was stopped on Orchard Road, Beecroft, after failing to stop at a stop sign. The man failed to supply a roadside breath test and was arrested and taken to Ryde Police station where he returned a positive reading of 0.095. The man had his licence suspended and he was issued a Field Court Attendance Notice to appear at Burwood Local Court on Monday 31 July 2017.

MANNING GREAT LAKES

A 25-year-old Indian national was detected by police at 172km/h in a 110km/h zone on the Pacific Highway, Moorland. The man was issued a traffic infringement notice for exceed speed over 45km/h and his driving privileges in NSW were suspended. In the same vehicle a 25-year-old woman was found to be unrestrained in the rear seat. She was given a traffic infringement notice for not wearing a seatbelt.

COOTAMUNDRA

A 53-year-old man was stopped on the Burley Griffin Way, near Harden. Police conducted checks that revealed his NSW Licence was suspended and his motor vehicle registration had been cancelled. He was issued a Traffic Infringement Notice for an unregistered motor vehicle and given a Field Court Attendance Notice for drive while suspended.

OXLEY

A 28-year-old man was stopped by police on Duri Road, Tamworth, for the purpose of a random breath test. Checks revealed that the man was disqualified from holding a licence until 2024. He was issued a Field Court Attendance Notice and is due to appear at Tamworth Local Court on 24 July 2017.


Key statistics (progressive total):
Speed infringements: 3779
Breath tests: 113269
PCA charges: 170
Major crashes: 256
Fatalities: 3

Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au/ Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.