Farm Security Tips


Go to Top

RMB Number/Property Name

  • The RMB number and property name should be prominently displayed at the front of the property.
  • Consider painting the RMB number or Global Positioning System (GPS) reading on boundary fence posts to assist emergency services and others to locate the property in emergency situations.

Go to Top

Fences and Gates
Fences and Gates

  • Fences define the property boundaries and restrict access to the property. Regularly check the condition of boundary fences and gates. Pay attention to slack wiring and investigate the cause. Repair damaged fences as soon as possible. Contact the police if the fences appear to have been deliberately cut or tampered with.
  • Mount gates at entrances to the property and other high-risk areas securely to strong posts, and lock with heavy-duty chains and padlocks when not in use.
  • Gates should be engraved or permanently marked with a piece of information that is unique to you.
  • Fencing materials should be securely locked away when not in use.

Go To Top

Warning Signs

  • Warning signs should be displayed on perimeter fence lines and gates to clearly indicate the boundaries of your property to illegal hunters/shooters, intruders and others. Signs such as “Private Property, No Trespassing”, “Please Shut the Gate, No Trespassing” and “No Hunting without Permission” may assist in the prosecution of trespassers if detected.
  • Consider displaying warning signs on internal gates and other structures such as sheds within your property, for example “Beware of the Dog” and “Monitored by Security Alarms”. Be careful using warning signs that suggest a security response that does not exist as thieves often look for cues to confirm if these really do exist.

Go To Top


  • Trees and shrubs around the homestead and sheds should be trimmed to reduce hiding places and to increase visibility to and from the main residence.
  • Overhanging branches should be trimmed to prevent people using them to access other parts of the homestead, e.g. using a tree to get on the roof or an upper level of the homestead.

Go To Top


  • Security lighting should be installed around the homestead and sheds.
  • Consider installing sensor style lights, which activate automatically when movement is detected within range.
  • Consider using light timers to automatically turn lights on/off when not at home.

Go To Top

Power Board and Letterbox

  • The power board should be housed within a secure, solidly made cabinet to restrict tampering with the power supply.
  • The cabinet should be secured with a lockset approved by your electricity authority.
  • The mailbox should be of solid construction and secured with an approved lock to restrict unauthorised access and theft.

Go To Top

Intruder Alarm System

  • An alarm system may enhance the security of the homestead. Research has shown that monitored alarm systems are more effective as they alert you or your security company of intruders. The alarm system should be manufactured and installed to Australian Standard (AS 2001).
  • The system should be designed to provide maximum coverage of the home, garage and storage facilities.
  • Remember to regularly check the battery and test the system.

Go To Top


  • External doors and frames should be of solid construction. These doors should be fitted with quality locksets, which comply with the Building Code of Australia (Fire Regulations) and Australian Standard (AS 4145).
  • Consider having a peephole (door viewer) installed in the front door of your home to monitor people at the door.
  • Keys should be removed from locks to prevent intruders entering or leaving the home.
  • Consider installing metal security/screen doors. These should be designed and installed to Australian Standard (AS 5039).
  • Consider installing patio bolts on sliding doors.
  • Access points under the homestead should be secured.

Go To Top


  • External windows and frames should be of solid construction.
  • Window frames should be anchored to the building to prevent easy removal.
  • Windows should be fitted with quality locksets and kept locked when not in use.
  • Some styles of windows can be locked in a partially open position. Further advice on these items can be obtained from your insurance company or locksmith.
  • Skylights should be kept locked, particularly at night.
  • Glass doors and windows should be re-enforced to restrict unauthorised access via these areas. The existing glass can be re-enforced internally with a shatter resistant adhesive film or replaced with laminated glass.
  • Consider installing metal security grilles or shutters on windows. (Caution: These can trap occupants in an emergency such as a fire if not properly installed.)

Go To Top

Valuables Control (Keys, Computers and Safes)

  • Where possible, secure computers to desk surfaces and permanently mark or engrave the hardware with an identification number unique to you. Back up files on discs and protect these from theft, fire, flood or PC failure by storing in a secure location.
  • Spare keys should not be hidden outside the home but left with trusted friends or neighbours.
  • Keys should not be left in locks or in view, as thieves may use them to gain entry to your homestead, sheds or vehicles.
  • Try to limit the amount of cash kept at home as it is often targeted by thieves and is often not covered by insurance.
  • Jewellery, cash and other valuables should not be left out in plain sight.
  • Consider installing a safe to securely store jewellery, cash and other valuable documents.
  • The safe should be well concealed, fixed to the floor or embedded in foundations.
  • The safe should not be left open for convenience. The key to the safe should be stored out of sight in a separate room.
  • Try to avoid leaving the property unattended at the same times and on the same days each week.
  • Cancel deliveries while away.
  • Notify Police, trusted friends and neighbours as to where you may be contacted during your absence.

Go To Top

Safe Keeping of Firearms

You must hold a current Firearms Licence or permit issued by the NSW Police Firearms Registry to use, own or possess a firearm in NSW. As a firearms owner you are required to familiarise yourself with the Firearms Act 1996 and the Firearms (General) Regulation 1997, and “take all reasonable precautions to ensure its safe keeping, and that it is not stolen or lost, and that it does not come into the possession of a person who is not authorised to possess the firearm”.

All firearms must be registered with the Firearms Registry, and as a condition of a firearms licence, you must permit a police officer to inspect your firearm storage arrangements at a mutually agreed time. Part 4, Section 40 of the Act requires category A and B licence holders to comply with the following requirements:
(a)        when any such firearm is not actually being used or carried, it must be stored in a locked receptacle of a type approved by the Commissioner and that is constructed of hard wood or steel and is not easily penetrable,
(b)        if such a receptacle weighs less than 150 kilograms when empty, it must be fixed in order to prevent its easy removal,
(c)        the locks of such a receptacle must be of solid metal and be of a type approved by the Commissioner,
(d)        any ammunition for the firearm must be stored in a locked container of a type approved by the Commissioner and that is kept separate from the receptacle containing any such firearm,
(e)        such other requirements relating to security and safe storage as may be prescribed by the regulations.

The Firearms Registry recommends that category A & B firearms be stored in a gun cupboard or commercially produced display case or gun rack that comply with or exceed the minimum storage requirements for this category. These should be of solid construction, and kept padlocked and secured to the floor and wall in a permanent building with secure locks on all entrances.

  • Gun cupboards should be fitted with a solid metal lock/s (minimum body width of 40mm, a hardened steel shackle and a minimum of 100 key changes); and the door should be fitted with a three point locking mechanism and padlocked by means of a hasp and staple or lever handle.
  • If using a display case, the glass panelling must be a minimum grade of 6.38mm and laminated, while the gun rack should be secured with plastic coated flexible steel cable (44mm minimum thickness) or chain of equivalent strength, passing through the trigger guards/s and secured to the wall at each end by expanding anchor bolts/coach screws.

Under Section 41, category C, D and H firearms licence holders must store such firearms “in a locked steel safe of a type approved by the Commissioner, that cannot be easily penetrated”, when any such firearm is not actually being used or carried. “Such a safe must be bolted to the structure of the premises where the firearm is authorised to be kept through the back and base (See the Level 2 Recommended Minimum Storage Requirements on the NSW Police Firearms Registry website).

NSW Police advises primary producers to ensure firearms are transported and stored safely i.e. by ensuring firearms are not loaded and temporarily incapable of firing (remove the bolt, magazine and check the chamber is empty). It is also recommended that you keep an inventory of the particulars of the firearm and ammunition including the registration number, serial number, make, model and calibre.

You should also be aware that you must be licensed by the the NSW Department of Primary Industries Game Licensing Unit to hunt game species on private land, or to hunt game and feral species on declared public land. Please see Game Licensing.

Go To Top


  • Pre-program the speed dial function of your telephone with the emergency number Triple Zero (000).
  • Details of emergency telephone numbers such as the local Rural Fire Service, Police Station and Crime Stoppers should be kept close to the phone.

Go To Top

Property Identification
Property Identification

  • Personal, household and farm valuables should be engraved or permanently marked with your driver’s licence number, Rural Lands Protection Board Property Identification Code (PIC) number or other piece of information that is unique to you. You should also mark a neat line through the engraving to show that it is no longer valid, when you sell your property.
  • Consider marking items that cannot be engraved with an Ultra-Violet pen. (This marking is only visible under ultra-violet light).
  • Keep a detailed inventory of all personal, household and farm valuables. This inventory should include complete descriptions of models, makes, serial numbers and replacement values.
  • Stud stock, machinery, jewellery, antiques and other collectables should be photographed and/or videoed to assist with identification.
  • Receipts should be kept to prove the legitimate purchase or sale of items.
  • Computerised inventories should be backed up and a hard copy kept in case the computer is damaged, lost or stolen.
  • The inventory, photographs and other documentation should be securely stored in a safe or safety deposit box.
  • Personal, household and farm valuables should be appropriately insured.

Go To Top

Sheds, Garages and other Storage Facilities
Sheds, Garages and other Storage Facilities

  • Sheds, garages and other storage facilities should be built within sight of the homestead or a trusted neighbour’s home.
  • Sheds, garages and other storage facilities should be constructed from strong materials with heavy-duty roller doors, shutters or metal gates that can be locked when not in use.
  • Use good quality chains and padlocks to secure entrances and consider fitting additional locksets (i.e. hasps, staples) to the doors and windows.
  • Security lighting should be installed around sheds, garages and other storage facilities. Consider mounting timed spot or floodlights around the structures.
  • Tools, equipment and ladders should be locked away to prevent them from being stolen or used to gain access to the homestead, sheds, garages or other storage facilities.
  • Storage areas should be clean and well organised so that any theft is noticed as soon as possible.

Go To Top

Farm Machinery, Tools and Equipment
Farm Machinery, Tools and Equipment

  • Machinery, tools and equipment, including any removable parts, should be engraved or permanently marked in at least two places. Ideally, use an engraver or welder to mark large items with some form of information that identifies you as the owner, and to ensure the marking can be recognised even if offenders attempt to grind it off.
  • Machinery, tools and other valuable farm equipment should be stored in the same secured area, preferably a locked shed or fenced enclosure that can padlocked.
  • At times it may be necessary to leave machinery out in the paddock. Position the equipment where it can be seen from the homestead and out of sight of public areas.
  • Equipment should be secured with heavy chains and case hardened locks (i.e. chain and lock equipment to trees or other strongly anchored objects; chain wheels to axles; chain steering wheel to frame).
  • Keys should be removed and cab doors locked.
  • Lockable fuel caps should be used to prevent theft or contamination of fuel.
  • Consider disabling the equipment by removing the distributor cap, battery or rotor.
  • When practical, remove hitches from trailers.
  • Tools or other equipment should not be left unsecured in the cab or tray of vehicles.

Go To Top

Shearing Sheds
Shearing Sheds

  • Handpieces, combs & cutters, wool packs, stencils, earmark pliers, ear-tags, paint brands and other valuable experting equipment should be regularly accounted for and securely locked away when not in use.
  • Wool bales should be securely stored in a locked storage area.
  • Details such as model and serial numbers of all shearing shed experting equipment including grinders and wool presses should be recorded in an inventory of all farm equipment.
  • All external doors, windows and chutes should be designed so they can be locked, and the shed checked regularly.
  • Use a reputable shearing contractor and carrier.

Go To Top

Grain, Hay and Seed
Grain, Hay, Seed

  • Grain, hay and seed should be stored in locked silos, bins or sheds.
  • Augers and other loading equipment should be padlocked when not in use.
  • Silos, bins and sheds should be well lit and visible from the homestead.
  • Full or partially loaded trucks should not be left standing in paddocks overnight, unless the vehicle has been rendered inoperable.
  • If possible, weigh loaded trucks before they leave the property, and follow the first load and a number of subsequent deliveries to the silo.

Go To Top

Chemicals, Fertilisers, Explosives and Security Sensitive Dangerous Substances
Grain, Hay, Seed

Each state has now enacted legislation to regulate the use, manufacture, transport, storage and handling of explosives, explosive precursors and other related dangerous goods. This legislation came into effect in NSW in September 2005, and includes the Explosives Act, 2003, the Explosives Regulation 2005, Occupational Health and Safety Amendment (Dangerous Goods) Act 2003 and Occupational Health and Safety Amendment (Dangerous Goods) Regulation 2005.

All fertilisers containing more than 45% ammonium nitrate (AN) have been designated as Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate (SSAN) and thus a Security Sensitive Dangerous Substance (SSDS). Primary producers must now apply to WorkCover NSW to obtain a “Licence to use Security Sensitive Dangerous Substances” to purchase, use and self transport (up to 5 tonnes) of SSAN. Producers will also need a current Blasting Explosive Users Licence to possess, use and store explosives.

Producers are also required to develop a Site Security Plan for Agricultural Use of Security Sensitive Dangerous Substances (SSAN). The security plan must contain details of the facilities, system and procedures in place for the safe and secure handling of SSAN. A security plan is also required if you are storing explosives.

NSW Police strongly recommends you contact WorkCover NSW for advice on authorisations and storage standards for all hazardous materials including SSAN and explosives. (

As a guide;

  • SSAN should be stored in a physically secure place (locked or under constant surveillance), and there should be procedures in place to control access; secure control of keys; and to document the receiving and dispatching of SSAN.
  • Fertilisers, herbicides and pesticides should be stored in their original containers away from heat and exterior walls separate to animal health products, stock feed, fuel and private dwellings.
  • Dedicated storage areas should be kept locked to prevent unauthorised access.
  • Reduce the quantity of chemicals stored, and comply with the manufacturers’ specifications (i.e. storage/usage times).
  • Maintain a full inventory of all chemicals kept on-farm including the product name; manufacturers’ name; a description of the container/s; formulation type; quantities, expiry dates and values. (Keep invoices and receipts of all purchases).
  • Permanently mark chemical containers with your name or other information unique to you.
  • Post warning signs on storage facilities identifying the class of dangerous goods.
  • Have personal protective equipment (goggles, gloves) readily available.
  • Report any loss, theft, attempted theft, sabotage or any other security incident to the police and WorkCover NSW.
  • Notify police if someone tries to sell you agricultural chemicals at prices under the normal market value.

Go To Top


  • Above-ground fuel storage tanks should be positioned in sight of the homestead and other storage sheds. Tanks should be concealed from view from the road, or alternatively, consider installing underground tanks.
  • Consider installing security lighting that illuminates the tank/s and surrounding area at night, and enclose the site with a security fence/gate that can be locked.
  • Fuel tanks should be dipped daily and a flow meter installed to monitor fuel usage.
  • The dispensing system including the pump outlets, nozzle, hose and valves should be locked when not in use.
  • The control switch to electronically controlled pumps should be located in a secure building and the electricity turned off when not in use. Also consider installing an isolation switch in a hidden spot to immobilise the circuit.
  • Mobile fuel tanks should only be filled when they are in use. Shield the hose and secure with a cable lock and case hardened short hasp to reduce siphoning or vandalism opportunities.
  • Fuel trailers should be parked away from the roadside when left unattended in a paddock during sowing or harvest. Trailer wheels should be clamped, and the body chained and padlocked to a large tree or other firmly anchored object.
  • Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of fuel usage and purchases, including quantities, delivery dates and times.
  • Tanks, vehicles and machinery should be fitted with lockable fuel caps to deter access or contamination.
  • Post warning signs around fuel storage areas, and install appropriate fire suppression equipment (eg fire extinguishers).
  • Use a reputable fuel supplier and be present when deliveries are made.
  • Suspected fuel thefts should be reported to police.

Go To Top


  • Tanks should be dipped regularly to monitor water usage. Use enclosed tanks to protect water from being contaminated, and lock taps and outlets to restrict unauthorised access to water.
  • Irrigation pumps should be bolted to a concrete floor and enclosed in a secure, ventilated structure such as a locked pump-house or welded steel cage.
  • Portable pumps should be chained to a tree or other fixed object.

Go To Top

Stockyards and Loading Ramps
Stockyards and Load Ramps

  • Stockyard gates and loading ramps should be padlocked to prevent others from using them without permission.
  • Stockyards should be built in sight of the homestead and other storage sheds, rather than in remote locations or fronting onto roads or laneways.

Go To Top

Livestock and Dogs
Livestock and Dogs

  • All livestock should be marked with approved permanent identifiers such as earmarks, brands, tattoos and National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) devices upon receipt or as soon after birth as practicable. Contact the relevant breed society and your local Local Land Services (LLS) for advice on registering brands and earmarks.
  • Cattle must be identified with an approved permanent identifier (NLIS device) before leaving any property or before entering NSW from another state. Producers should check that all NLIS devices are still present and replace any that are lost. In addition, all movements of cattle, including those between properties, must be recorded on the NLIS Database (
  • Sheep and goats born on or after 1 January 2006 must be identified with an approved permanent identifier (NLIS tag) before leaving their property of birth, and relevant information about the movements of sheep and goats must be recorded and retained for seven years by the person who consigned the stock and by the person who has bought or received the stock.
  • Cattle, sheep, goats and horses must be accompanied by an approved movement document when transported by vehicle (road, rail, water or air) from their current location to another. Approved documents include the National Vendor Declaration (NVD), Transported Stock Statement (TSS), NSW Animal Health Statement or a Consignment Note approved by the Stock Transport Accreditation Committee. The ‘owner of the stock’ must correctly complete the stock transportation particulars on these documents, and copies of the TSS must be retained for a minimum of two years. Contact your local LLS for advice on tagging or movement exemptions and documentation.
  • Livestock identification devices (including tags, pliers and branding irons) should be securely locked away when not in use.
  • Missing NLIS devices should be reported to police as soon as possible.
  • Livestock should be regularly checked to ensure that suspected losses are recognised and reported to police as soon as possible.
  • Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of individual stock identification numbers and stock totals including purchases, sales, deaths and rations.
  • Valuable stock should be photographed and/or videoed.
  • Stock should not be left in yards or holding paddocks adjacent to stockyards unless they are in sight of the homestead.
  • Stock handling facilities (yards and race) should be kept locked and regularly checked for signs of unexplained activity (damaged gates, fresh manure and hoof marks).
  • “Dogs are aware, often before their owners, of the presence of strangers around the farm residence and nearby buildings”. Regardless of whether dogs are kept as working animals or as pets, they may act as a deterrent to intruders. (University of New England Institute for Rural Futures 2000).

Go To Top


  • Valuable trees should be identified and marked with paint.
  • Maintain a written or computerised record of valuable trees.
  • Inform neighbours when someone will be harvesting timber on the property.
  • Investigate unexplained chain saw noises.