Criminal Records Section

The Criminal Records Section (CRS) forms part of the Forensic Services Group, Identification Services Branch and is responsible for the collection, integrity and release of criminal record information in NSW.

The NSW Police Force provides an opportunity for NSW residents aged 14 years and above to apply for a National Police Check for visa, adoption, employment (including authorisation as an authorised carer), approval as a household member of an authorised carer, some occupational licensing purposes, student placements and for volunteers working in Commonwealth supported aged-care facilities.

Comprehensive Information Sheets, including a step-by-step guide to applying for a check and responses to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) explaining the NPCS process are available on this site.

The CRS is committed to providing a high quality service to police and members of the community. To achieve this objective, the CRS welcomes feedback on the contents of this site and the quality of our services - contact us by telephone or email below.

Before completing your application online, please read the below information.

The NSW Police Force relies on other State and Commonwealth jurisdictions to provide information in order to produce a National Police Certificate.

The NSW Police Force will not be held liable for any loss, suffering or expense incurred by an applicant arising out of errors or omissions contained in information obtained from other agencies.

If an applicant incurs a loss or monetary expense arising out of errors or omissions contained in information obtained from other agencies, they may be able to make an application for an ex gratia payment.

For further information on ex gratia applications please follow the following link.

The NSW Police Force does not provide Working With Children Checks. Individuals seeking a Working With Children Check Clearance should refer to the Office of the Children's Guardian website.

However, some employers of persons in child-related work may also require a National Police Check to assess the suitability of a person for employment in a particular position. Some workers may therefore separately apply to the Office of the Children's Guardian for a Working With Children Check and to the NSW Police Force for a National Police Check.

Individuals requiring a criminal record check for Australian citizenship, residency, spouse visa, guardianship of a child from another country, working visa or whilst travelling or living abroad, must apply via the Australian Federal Police (AFP). Details on applying for a criminal record check via the AFP are available at

Volunteers working in commonwealth funded aged care facilities should apply online and select name and date of birth - aged care volunteer, in the purpose field, to receive a reduced rate check. Reduced price checks are not available for paid employees in aged care and the final certificate will clearly identify that the check is for aged care volunteer purposes only.


Lodge an application for a National Police Check

You must complete all mandatory fields marked with an * on the form. Once the form is complete the applicant can pay the appropriate fee either online at the time of application by credit card or at the police station when attending with your printed confirmation page to confirm your identification.

To dispute the accuracy of criminal record information, please contact the Criminal Records Section or use the Disputing Criminal Record Information form.

Customers without internet access should contact the Criminal Records Section for further information.

Track your lodged application

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the National Police Checking Service?

How to apply for a National Police Check.

Registered Organisations

Private and public sector organisations which anticipate conducting 50 or more National Police Checks per annum may apply directly to the Criminal Records Section to become a Registered Organisation. Registered Organisations deal directly with the Criminal Records Section rather than Local Area Commands.

For further information, contact the Criminal Records Section by telephone, email, fax or post.


Phone: (02) 8835 7888


Fax: (02) 8835 7193

NSW Police Headquarters
1 Charles St Parramatta
NSW 2150

Mailing address:
Locked Bag 5102 Parramatta
NSW 2124