Triple Zero (000)
Stay focussed, Stay relevant, Stay on the line.
Call Triple Zero (000) to report emergencies
If you need police, fire or ambulance in an emergency call Triple Zero (000). Always call Triple Zero (000) in situations where a life is in danger, a crime is taking place, or in time critical situations.
What happens when you call Triple Zero (000)?
- When you dial 000, your call is connected to the Telstra Emergency Call service centre
- You will be prompted by the Telstra operator "Police, Fire or Ambulance?"
- Advise the operator of the service you require. If you are calling from a mobile or satellite phone the operator will ask for other location information
- Your call will immediately be transferred through to the emergency service you request, who will take details of the situation
- Stay on the line, speak clearly and answer the operator's questions
- You will be asked to provide details of where you are, including street number, name and nearest cross street, and locality. In rural areas it is important to give the full address and distances from landmarks and roads, not just the name of the property. If travelling on the motorways or along rural roads include details or towns or nearest exits passed through.
- Don't hang up until the operator has all the information they need, if possible you will be asked to wait for a police officer at an arranged location.
Make sure you are prepared for a Triple Zero (000) emergency:
- Make sure you, your family, and overseas guests know the Triple Zero (000) number
- Sit down with your family and teach children how and when to use the Triple Zero (000) number
- Record the Triple Zero (000) number beside the telephone at home and work
- Lock the keypad of mobile phones to ensure accidental calls to Triple Zero (000) don't occur
- Callers with hearing impairments can call the one zero six (106) text-based emergency call service using a textphone.
IN AN EMERGENCY CALL TRIPLE ZERO (000)
For more information visit:
- www.triplezero.gov.au - Australian Disaster Information Network: Triple Zero (000) - Australia's Emergency Call Service
- www.acma.gov.au/emergencycalls - Australian Communications and Media Authority: Emergency Calls
Triple Zero TV advertisements
Police (NSW Police Force YouTube Channel video)
Fire (NSW Police Force YouTube Channel video)
Ambulance (NSW Police Force YouTube Channel video)
- Print and colour in this Triple Zero Colouring In page
- Download a great Hooley Dooleys picture
- The Hooley Dooleys sing about Triple Zero (NSW Police Force YouTube Channel video)